Friday, January 27, 2006

The Best Road Trip Songs

On to lighter subject matter.

What do you consider to be the best road trip songs out there?

I'll start it off with a few of my favorites:

Radar Love - Golden Earring
In the days of my youth, I remember going to visit a certain redheaded girlfriend that lived several states away and blasting/singing this song in the wee hours just to keep me from falling asleep at the wheel.

Highway Star - Deep Purple
This one doesn't have a pretty girl story attached to it, but whenever I hear it and I'm driving, I feel like giving it just a bit more gas.

Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf
Again, another one that just seems to "get your motor runnin'".

Detroit Rock City - Kiss
That little breakdown with the screeching tires followed by the crash always makes me pretend to crank the wheel one way, then the other, finally slamming into some imaginary barrier.

In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins
Not really a driving song, nor a tune I care for. But, I once saw Phil singing this dreamy ditty in the beams of my headlights as I was fighting off fatigue at 4am on a road trip between Cleveland, OH and Charlotte, NC - again going to visit that dern redhead.

Come on, I know you have a song and story. Everybody does.

Rob

7 Comments:

At 4:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like your classic cars related blog site. I have a classic cars related web site at classic cars. If you're into classic cars. You will want to check it out.

 
At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Riders on the storm by The Doors. Good for smooth cruising and helps you relax if you're nervous.

King of the road by Aria (heavy-metal Russian band). Really helps you wake up.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger AutoAnything said...

You know Aria? That's great! How about DDT, Splean, TequillaJazz, Mumi Troll or Kino?

Rob

 
At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't leave out the Dead and Truckin'. It goes good with that left arm tan you get while driving in the middle of nowhere.

Honorable mention to the Doobies' Rockin' Down the Highway. Hell's Angels approved.

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeas, I know Aria. I have a lot of Russian friends who take care of my music awareness :)
I like Splean as well. Neutral to the others.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger AutoAnything said...

Otlichna!

Rob

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Alan Jones said...

Finally a Blog I can bookmark. Do you want to find out the secret that auto dealers don't want you to know? Better than Auto Trader!"auto trader"

 

<< Home